Thursday, November 14, 2013

annual apple crisp making

If you live in Fairfield County, CT, and you catch a winter cold, chances are you've treated yourself to Aux Delices' Ginger Tea. Really, there's nothing more soothing and delicious, when I am out and about on a chilly Fall or Winter day. This tea is definitely "food crush" status. 
This past week, my neighbor and I ran into one another at Aux Delices, both of us under the weather, and each of us having driven to the next town for some of this liquid gold. Now, I sometimes make a normal ginger-lemon tea at home, but there's something special about Aux Delices'. So today I decided to master the brew at home... No sooner had a filled my big stock pot, when there was a knock at the back door. And there stood my neighbor, with a large cup of the goodness in hand. {Little did she know, I had planned to surprise her, with a tub of my homemade brew!}
The recipe was very simple. The only difference between my normal ginger-lemon tea and Aux Delices' appears to be copious amounts of honey. The labor intensive part was grating the fresh ginger. I grated about 6" worth...then got tired of grating and just chopped it into bits I'd strain out later.
Then I zested and squeezed a bunch of fresh lemons. For a soup pot filled with about 12+ cups of water, I added 6 zested and juiced lemons. If I'd had them, I would have added a few more.
And then I added some honey... I started with about 1/2 cup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment